Quote:
I certainly think it is wrong for people to simply join a club just to get early registration.

Yesterday those were my feelings too, Dennis. I have had a change of heart. Thinking more about this and about Harbour Lights' possible justification/ rationalization for doing what they did has lead me to the scenario painted above. Growing the memberships wouldn't be a bad thing. Getting to register for the reunion early isn't a bad thing. Nor is it a matter of exclusivity since if I can join a club for the purpose, then anyone can. I do agree with your opinion,
Quote:
... - if you are going to do something a certain way say so. Don't have secret rules for some and other rules for all the rest.

However, I don't think that "secret rules" was Harbour Lights intent. I just have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, knowing what kind of company they are and knowing of their pride in their integrity and reputation. HL is known to not allow information on the website before it is published in the Legacy. Since the Legacy had already gone out when the decision was made, I can see why the information was not made available immediately on HL.com.

Quote:
...all it would really do is put money into the coffers of the club. I myself prefer sending checks to the Lighthouses I choose to support restoration on. My $25 would be better spent in direct support of a lighthouse versus just joing a club to be able to register for the reunion.

Sean, I donate plenty to lighthouses directly. These membership dollars are dollars that would not otherwise find their way to lighthouses in any form. They'd probably otherwise end up in the coffer of some fast food giant.

I am not a member of a club for a practical reason: distance. If some distant club can benefit by the addition of my membership, what does that hurt if I join but cannot attend meetings? Is putting money in the coffer of a club wrong? What is club money used for, anyway? I don't think that it is wasted if it goes toward the enjoyment, understanding and preservation of lighthouses. In one way or another, most every dollar of most clubs' membership fees go toward just such a purpose.

I am (a) serious about joining a club for the purpose of registration and (b) at peace with myself for making that decision.

------------------
-Art

-Art