I have had some time to think about this now.

What would we have all said if a month ago Y&A came out with an announcement stating:

NOTICE: THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL!
THESE ARE NOT THE WORDS OF
HARBOUR LIGHTS NOR OF YOUNGER & ASSOCIATES.

It has come to our attention that many collectors clubs throughout the country have events planned for the day of registration for Reunion '01. This would obviously make it difficult for club members to get to the phones on that day.

We at Harbour Lights have wrestled with this and the fairness and practicality of several alternatives. We have decided to allow club members nationwide to pre-register. This will allow a core group of collectors to enjoy their day at the lights without worrying about registration.

We recognize that this would not be fair to people who have otherwise busy schedules and who do not belong to a collectors club. For some, membership has been impractical due to geographic location or other reasons. Others simply choose not to belong to one for a variety of reasons. Since we at Harbour Lights strongly support the collectors clubs and the charitable work toward lighthouses that most of them do, we believe that collectors club membership growth is in the best interest of everyone concerned with the preservation of lighthouses. Therefor, we are encouraging all collectors clubs to allow for some members in absentia to join by paying the dues required of regular members. This will allow for the growth of the clubs and for membership in the clubs by people who may never actually attend any meetings.

To encourage individuals to join such a club, Harbour Lights will extend the same opportunity for pre-registration to anyone who joins a club before (date), even if solely for the purpose of pre-registration to the Reunion. The member in absentia must have dues paid up in full and be carried on the roster of one of the collectors clubs to be eligible.

How would this sit with everyone?

I'd be all for it. This might have been similar to HL's thought process, or at least a consideration of theirs. I don't believe that there was anything "sneaky" intended; I just think that the rollout could have been better. None of us is perfect.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go join some distant collectors club (there is no such thing as one that is close to me).

------------------
-Art

-Art