When I was visiting Nags Head, we drove up to Currituck to see the Lighthouse. I proceeded to climb the Light and my wife went to the gift shop. When I finally could pull myself away from the tower views, I joined Mary Ann in the gift shop. She was among lighthouse sculptures from 5 different manufacturers. She wanted to buy me Bald Head Island since we had been there the year before and she just loved it. So now I'm looking at all these lighthouses - totally confused! I ask the gift shop person for some info, and she tells me "It's a Big story on each brand . Pick one and I'll try to help you." So back I go, and put the 5 Bald Heads next to one another, Compare size, quality, price - and of course, I pick the most expensive, best detail, largest, and best quality.
So now I tell my wife, if I get this one, I'll probably start collecting them (Little Did We Know?), so let me find out if they make Montauk.(We camp at Hither Hills for the past 19 years ever summer and have taken quite a few pictures of the kids in front of the Lighthouse.)
So, the gift shop person says yes, but it's retired then explains to me what that means, gives me a brochure and directs me to a shop in Nags Head that deals on the secondary market.
Two days later after studying my HL brochure, I find the shop and the dealer goes on the internet, and tells me he can get me a Montauk for $250. To rich for my blood, so I delay my collecting.(I was gulping at the 60 - 70 dollar range, now my favorite was 4x that much!)
About two weeks later, I'm surfing the internet and find this site(prior Site -August 98), and see a Montauk on the Marketplace for a much more reasonable price. After justifying it to my self for several days, I made the purchase, and don't regret it. I was hooked!

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 10-10-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB