It's been at least two years since I've posted here, and I have missed corresponding with many of you on this board.

The impetus for Gary's comment was a post I made on Lighthousing.net last week, and just so everyone knows what's going on, I will quote that post here. Our problems go way beyond a lack of accounting.....

Quote:
My involvement with this business venture began in August of 2003 after an open call for images to be used on the stickers. I submitted several images, a few of which were used on the stickers. I noticed that my e-mails weren't answered very quickly (unless I was offering something helpful to the business, then it was like lightning), but I wrote it off to the amount of work I figured it was taking to get this thing off the ground.

Over time I submitted one or two more images to be used, and my total number of stickers was small, like 7 or 8. After several months I noticed that I had not recieved the set of my stickers that every pohotographer had been proised at the onset. I asked about this, and again my e-mails were ignored. I found that if I really wanted a response, I would have to send an e-mail 5-6 times and become a pest.

I never recieved my set of stickers and I noticed that there had been no accounting of sales for several months. I asked about this and again was ignored. Finally one accounting of sales was sent out on 6-2-2004. (yes, nearly a year after the project began).

I stuck with it until late 2004, but the continued lack of accounting information and ignored correspondence pushed me to the edge of my patience and I asked that my images immediately be removed from the web site and that they no longer be used for any reason by this company. This request and numerous follow ups were ignored, eventually I was answered in an impatient fashion on 11-23-04. In this answer I was told that I would recieve a final accounting of sales, my promised set of stickers, and all of my images would be removed from the site. As I feared and expected, this did not happen. The closest thing to action that has been taken was when my photographer page was removed, but my individual images were (and are to this day) still in the main listing and available for purchase.

It is now January of 2005 and it has been more than one year since I made it clear that this company is now using my copyrighted images without permission, which is a clear violation of copyright law. I have sent e-mails repeatedly, and even a certified letter demanding that this company stop using my copyrighted images, but I have been ignored. It is obvious that this business has no regard for copyright law or the rights of photographers.

Since I have a life I have not kept up with this issue like I should have, and I have let months go by without even thinking about it because I just plain have a lot going on. However, this does not excuse the illegal activity that is to this day being committed by this company.

We've had lengthy discussions on this board before about copyright and how it applies to us as photographers, here's a real world example of it being abused and exploited. Now if I want to take action I have to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit in a court thousands of miles from my home. Not a pleasant prospect....

For anyone who is a contributing photographer, I can only suggest that you stand up for yourself and don't let yourself get bullied, insulted, or marginalized like I have. I can't imagine that I am the only one who has had such issues, but I hope mine is the worst. Demand accountability by the business in all matters, whether it is convenient for the proprietor or not.

I have kept this to myself (and one close friend and advisor) for well over a year now, and it feels good to get it all out in the open. I only hope that in telling you of my troubles, you can avoid them yourself.
In short, John, since I can't get a reply from you on e-mail, I must publicly demand that you remove all of my images immediately from your site. You are violating the law and there is no excuse for it. I don't want any more excuses or proimses, just do it. Once it's done you personally can rest assured you'll never hear from me again. (that doesn't mean I won't visit this board from time to time, there are some great friends here)