Quote:
How did I do, Professor Tim?

Thanks Rod! You done reeel good. You deserve your nap. ;->

In the near future I'll post a summary guideline of the HTML text formatting tips covered in this forum. Meanwhile, for those interested here are a few more tidbits.

The underlining in Rod's message is accomplished with the u tag.

For example: [u]..stuff to underline..[/u]

In a previous 'testing' thread I showed how to format text as emphasized. On the vast majority of computer/browser combinations emphasized text translates out as italics. So in practical terms for these setups, the ... tag pair is functionally equivalent to the [em]...[/em].

Likewise the [strong]..stuff in bold...[/strong] tags are functionally equivalent to the ...in bold... tag set.

If you really want to annoy folks you can try the [blink]..don't you dare[/blink] tags.

And for you legal types, you can toss in strike through with ..stuff to strike. Likewise [strike]...[/strike] will work.

Please note most of the effects are a function of your computer, its video capabilities, and the version of HTML supported by your browser.

The vast majority of folks are using a Weendows-based browser (Win16 or Win32) and the vast majority of those are using Netscape Navigator or Internet Exploder. Each of these browsers supports some 'special' features not supported by its competitors. Of course use of these features renders them untenable for all but the browser under which they are supported. Its generally considered tacky (at least imo) to have effects not available to all. 'Course this doesn't stop the browser vendors from developing their own special features in hopes of locking-in attracting more folks to their product.

Unbeknownst to many, there's a vicious battle going on both outside and inside your computer for market share. Most hardware/software vendors recognize themselves as competing with cable and broadcast TV for 'eyeballs'. Why are all these great free internet sites springing up constantly. In hopes of selling your attention span to advertisers. Just like TV, and print media. Once computers achieve a combination of power and low price to render truly life-like full-motion video, then look out. But I drift off subject...

There are quite a few more HTML tags related to character formatting. Even tags to format 'white space' - that stuff between words and characters that we can't really do without. (pickup a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness for more on the ontologically defining characteristics of the stuff between. %^O ) I suspect eventually we'll cover those tags of interest here or elsewhere.

In the meantime St.John has provided us with this nice little test bed, so feel free to fire away! Just try to keep it light and housey.

Rgds,
__
/im [from the Font Signal Building, lol]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-22-99).]