Once upon a time we had a thread about changing the name of the "Collector Forums" to something more representative of collecting Harbour Lights. If I remember, the general consensus there was "if it ain't broke - no need to fix it'. I'm not sure anything is broke here.

There's also something to be said for continuity over time. People come and go on the Forums all the time. There are lots who are here for 3-6-12 months and then lose interest, or no longer have the time, or whatever - a few people drop in maybe once a month. Thats the way it is with many different groups.

I'm inclined to view the Newbie/Wacko thing as kinda like the entry level requirements for citizenship. Just like becoming a registered member is a pre-requisite for posting messages. Heck, if it was me, I'd say you need 50 messages with at least 2 messages in every forum just to make sure you know what goes where and learn your way around.

Part of the Wacko meaning (imo) is you've stuck around long enough to make 50 contributions. These can take lots of different forms, from asking a good question, or making someone else feel at home, providing an interesting perspective, or helping someone else with this hobby. Show you're interested enough to stick around for a while, make a contribution to the neighborhood and then you don't have to park in the visitors lot anymore.

For me personally, most messages are interesting cuz they give some insight to the messenger, but when it comes to changing the forums I'm inclined to take more seriously the voices who have been here and who will probably continue to be here. Kinda like the guy who comes into my neighborhood who wants to change the zoning laws, but doesn't own a home yet. His voice isn't as important to me as the homeowners around me.

There's something to be said for trying new stuff and evolving - and I'm all for it. There's also something to be said for continuity and tradition - and there's a place for that too. If the future resembles the past, then somewhere around 25%-40% of the people talking about making a change won't be here this time next year.

Don't matter what the title is next to your name - if you're a newbie, you're a newbie. Its not a crime and there's no stigma attached to it. Heck, Newbies tend to get treated with kid gloves, are given a greater level of tolerance and even allowed to ask dumb Newbie questions. If I was a Newbie, I'd enjoy the label.

There are very few established groups a person can walk into and expect instant recognition. What other associations build up in people's minds will result from what you say here and the contributions you make. Just like any other neighborhood. No amount of forced political correctness will change this. Doesn't have anything to do with a level playing field - ever single person here has the same opportunity to participate and contribute. Its up to you to make this place what you want it to be. So stick around.

__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-28-2001).]