There is something that has really been bothering me lately and that is why I'm making this post. I want everyone to understand from the beginning that I'm not picking or referring to anyone in particular in this post. I have several general questions that have me in a bit of a confused state (and it isn't old age) and I will try to find some answers with this post.

1. Why do people take the time to register on the Forums if they do not take the time to post? A person wanting to just read the posts that are on the Forums do not have to be registered to do so. They can remain visitors and still read all the posts. Why do they register? Is there something I'm not aware of in belonging to "X" amount of forums or discussion groups?

2. Once a person registers on the Forums why do they not participate? We have a welcoming forum that we welcome the new members in and the great majority of these new members do not take the time to acknowlede these welcomes. I also send out a personal individual welcome to these new members and as of this time I have not received even one response to my welcoming email. Can anyone out there tell me why new members do not take the time to say "hi" to welcoming posts from existing members? I know that going into a new school, duty station, organization, church or any new situation makes you feel good when you get a warm welcome and I don't think that anyone would not be so impolite enough as to not respond. Then why is it that the majority of new members do not respond? Is the computer age causing us to become so rude that we have given up our manners?

3. My next question is why 99.9% percent of our existing members are no longer posting? The excuse of I don't have the time, I have too much work, I don't think that others would be interested in what I say, I'm afraid that my question will make me look stupid or every one on the forums is established and "part of a click" just that, excuses. What are the real reasons? For the amount of posts over the last several weeks, it appears to me that the Forums are a waste of money and maybe we should put the profits from the sale of our exclusive to a better use, like supporting lighthouse preservation instead of supporting the forums at a monthly cost. The few people that are making an effort to post could continue communicating by email with just as much enthusiasim from the dedicated posting members as they are now getting from the entire forum. You say "everything I have to say has already been said" and that may be true, but, there are plenty of members out there that have not heard it. You say "I don't have the time" or "I'm too busy at work" and that also may be true, but, you always find time to do web surfing, email to your friends, watch repeats on TV, etc. so why can't you find time to communicate with others on the forums?

4. My final question is this and it is to the loyal members that post. Why do you take the time to post if others are not going to take the time to re spond to your posts.

I figure that this post will generate approximately 6-7 responses from the same loyal members that always post. To those of you that take the time to read this post and not respond I will understand because you are busy doing other things. This is not meant to be a slamming to the members that do not post or take the time to respond to welcomes, it is meant to try and open up the eyes of all registered members and those thinking of registering. This post is the ramblings of an old retired "Coastie" that is becoming alarmed at the non-participation of current members and the potential waste of money used to support these forums. If I have offended any member with these questions, I appologize for it. You may email me with any responses that you do not want to publicly post.

Rich