Manson sent out emails this morning to those folks who contacted him and indicated that OBC should get ownership. His email follows:

Date: 7/30/2003 10:48:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Today I have determined that the Outer Banks Conservationists, Inc., of Manteo, North Carolina, should have ownership of the historic Currituck Beach Lighthouse. My decision was made in accordance with the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 (NHLPA).

Under the NHLPA, the preservation of the lighthouse comes first. The standard to be applied is the "best stewardship" standard; that is, on the record, which applicant appears best able to provide for the preservation of the lighthouse. No other consideration is relevant. That was the sole basis for today's decision.

The NHLPA is alive and well. The National Park Service soon will be announcing successful applicants for a number of other historic
lightstations.

As with all processes, we strive to learn and improve constantly in the lighthouse program. I have directed the National Park Service to
immediately commence a public process to develop improved policies for review of lighthouse applications, especially in cases where more than one entity has applied. All points of view will be considered in the NPS policy process and all who are interested in lighthouses or historic
preservation are encouraged to participate. Information will be made available soon about this process.

Congrats to OBC! See, sometimes the good guys actually DO WIN! laugh

Diane