Robert, Mombo is correct. Long Beach Bar WAS a screwpile light, until the 1920s, when the concrete foundation was built into order to install central heating system (just imagine how cold it would be to live in a screwpile lighthouse in winter!). In fact, it was extremely unusual to see a screwpile lighthouse this far north, and LBB had a difficult time with ice flows. It got its nickname "Bug Light" because it looked like a bug perched on top of the water before the concrete foundation was installed.

If you check out ebay, every once in a while you can find an old postcard that shows LBB as a screwpile.

As for our governor adding on a "user fee" to state parks...GRR. Fire Island (the lighthouse itself) shouldn't be affected because it technically controlled by the National Park Service. Field 5 (where you park in order to walk to the lighthouse) is part of Robert Moses State Park, so you'd probably get charged more $$ to park. Montauk Point is owned by the Montauk Historical Society, but again, I believe the parking lot is part of a state park. Cedar Island Lighthouse is in a county park. Horton Point is owned by Southold Historical Society, so there wouldn't be any issues there. Old Field is owned by the Village of Old Field (and you can't park there anyway). Eaton's Neck is part of a Coast Guard Station. Coney Island is part of a gated community. Cold Spring Harbor and Sands Point are on private property.

The rest of LI's lights are offshore. And once I'm off of LI, I can't help with any other NY lights. laugh

Diane