I have drafted a note to the "Lighthouse Three" (as they are officially called). I thought I might share it with you.

Quote:

Dear Jeff, Linda and John,

I am a 14-year-old lighthouse fan who has always been intrigued by that “perfect lighthouse”—the one with the perfect setting, the perfect tower and keeper’s house, the perfect everything. Over the years, I have seen many photographs of the Big Bay Point Lighthouse and surrounding area, and have been quite intrigued.
During my five years of being a “lighthouse person”, I have seen 125 lighthouses. I have found some “perfect” lights—Big Bay Point and Tibbet’s Point on Lake Ontario; Castle Hill and Beavertail in Rhode Island; Stonington in Connecticut; Currituck Beach in North Carolina—the list could go on and on. But I always seek more.
I have always thought that Big Bay Point would be an addition to the list. The way the lighthouse is perched on the cliff, that mammoth keepers dwelling and tower, and the forty beautiful wooded acres. However, I have not yet gotten the chance to get to your light. One day, I will, but it looks like it will not be able to have a coveted spot on the “Perfect List.”
When I first read of your plans to build houses on the property through a lighthouse message board I belong to, I was disgusted. I had the same sick feeling in my gut that I have had too many times before with other lighthouses. The feeling that history is being lost, and can never be reclaimed.
From curiosity, I went to the Big Bay Point Lighthouse website. Clicking on “The Keepers”, I read that the three of you are avid preservationists and were active in the restoration of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park. So I think you should know a thing or two about a property being most valuable in its original form.
Subdividing the beautiful lighthouse property for private homes is not the way to treat this historic ground. Many of my fellow lighthouse friends feel the same way. Some of them have visited the lighthouse, stayed in it overnight, and been awed by the beauty of the grounds. Unfortunately, this cannot be felt with twelve houses, however “natural” looking, in the way.
I conclude this letter with these words: Big Bay Point is a special place. Please, keep it that way for future generations. Keep the light shining for preservation.
As I said, it's just a draft, I still have to work on it and edit it.

I encourage all of you to write letters, too. Perhaps if we flood the mailbox at Big Bay with opposition, we can have a voice.