It has been a while since I updated this project, so here is a quick update of what has transpired in the past few months:

First and foremost, the Saginaw River Rear Range Light is sporting a brand new roof. This is very important as it prevents any further water damage inside the structure.

Secondly, bids are currently being taken for environmental clean-up of both the exterior and interior. (Asbestos, Lead paint, ect...)

A contractor is also expected soon to inspect the windows. Exact replicas are to be made of the few remaining original windows to replace the boarded up, broken windows.

DOW has stated that does not know what the complete cost of the restoration will be, but it is approving funding for each phase of the project on a case-by-case basis.

There are approximately 40 volunteers working on the project, and our goal is to turn the lighthouse into a maritime museum and research library open to the public, but the owners, DOW, states that it has not decided what to do with the lighthouse once the restoration is complete. Public access across their industrial facility isn't very appealing to them, but I think it will all get worked out.

I will post more when it becomes available. Right now, interior work has stopped for the most part due to environmental concerns with lead paint and asbestos.

Keep the Flame,

-Todd