Saturday July 31st, I had the pleasure of celebrating the 100th Birthday of the Orient Point Lighthouse aboard the Coast Guard tender ‘Katherine Walker‘(named after the lady lightkeeper at Robbin’s Reef Lighthouse. - www.lighthousemuseum.org/nylights/robrf.html
As a representative of NELL (New England Lighthouse Lovers Club}, I met many lighthouse dignitaries on our trip and luncheon. Among those attending was our host Merle Wiggins, East End Maritime and Seaport Museum; Gayle Wagner, Past President of Fire Island Lighthouse, and LI Lighthouse Safaris; Henry Stephenson, National Lighthouse Museum; Joshua Ruff, Stony Brook Museums; Commander Heff of the Coast Guard: and several local politicians.

left to right - Jean Cochrane, Southold Supervisor; Gayle Haines, Former FireIsland LH President; Henry Stephenson, Project Director, National Lighthouse Center & Museum and the Birthday LH in the background
The back

The ‘Katherine Walker‘ left the dock in Greenport at about 9:45 am for Orient Point. On the way we passed Long Beach Bar, “Bug Light”. This lighthouse was restored by the East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation in 60 days, under the direction of Merle Wiggins. It was rebuilt on shore and transported to the original foundation. There is a story that a fisherman entered the bay at 6 am and noticed the foundation where Bug Light was before it burned. On his return trip late that same afternoon, he was amazed to see a lighthouse had now appeared out of nowhere! In talking to Merle, he said it was a true story and that the lighthouse was transported to the site on a barge at about 8 am. It was lifted and completely bolted to the original foundation by 3:30 pm.

Katherine Walker Insignia – notice the lighthouse
The back

Long Beach Bar “Bug Light”
The back

At about 11am Congressman Forbes, boarded the ‘Katherine Walker’ and was honored by a 19 gun salute from the Navy battery on the Point.

The back

The Coast Guard then had a water display, and the Air Force Reserve from Westhampton performed a helicopter flyover as the fog rolled in.

The back

Orient Point Lighthouse from the deck of the Katherine Walker
The back

Narration on the history of Orient Point Lighthouse was then presented. Many pleasure boats as well a chartered ferry surrounded the Lighthouse for the event.
A lunch followed at Claudio’s on the harbor in Greenport, hosted by the owner Bill Claudio. Several historical and legendary stories were traded about the harbor village of Greenport, rum running, and the Orient Point Lighthouse.
Several lithographs of the Orient Point Lighthouse were presented to the dignitaries, and a book on the history of Orient Point Lighthouse by Merlon Wiggins was given to all. Merle was kind enough to sign my copy.

Merle Wiggins, Director of East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation presents Orient Point LH Lithograph to Congressman Forbes
The back

A great day was concluded about 2:30 PM. Words cannot describe what a good time I had. Pictures may help and will follow shortly

LongIsland Bob.

In order for the JeanGayleHenry.jpg to load

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 08-11-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB