Quote:
The thing that I find disturbing is that there is a group of collectors that have every lighthouse that is swaying Harbour Lights on what to produce or not produce.

That's not how I understand the issue, and JC's post seems to corroborate my understanding. From the accounts given here it sounds like it was this small group that made the claim about Bill's supposed pledge not to do an OE Coquille. The fact that the group or person(s) that raised this issue has a complete collection or whether they are all new collectors that were in club meeting where the pledge was (supposedly) made is totally irrelevant. (Thats why I said the point was missed - I certainly won't disagree that you may be bothered by a small group having undue influence).

I'm not sure what evidence there is for your claim that "a group of collectors that have every lighthouse that is swaying Harbour Lights on what to produce or not produce".
If you'd said this group is trying to influence HL's direction, then I can accept that - and if so, they're just one of many that are voicing their opinion. However to claim (as I understand the statement does) that a small group actually *is* influencing HL production decisions needs to be backed up with some facts.

From what I understand, HL has put some plans on hold while they review things. This suggests they are being thoughtful and willing to consider the issue. If it is determined that Bill publicly made the 'no OE Coquille' statement' and HL chooses not to produce it because of this, they will have done so not because some particular party brought the statement to light, but because the statement was made by Bill.

On the other hand I'll certainly accept the possibility that some other production decisions are determined by the group to whom you refer, but at present I am unaware of this. If you are referencing something other than the current Coquille debate, I'll defer to your knowledge of that situation.

All businesses must make decisions based on what they believe is in their best long term interest. One of the things that is typically in a company's best long term interest is to pay attention to the requests of their customers. But for privately held companies, they usually don't let the customers vote - that is actually one of their strengths. Publicly held companies let stockholders vote on certain issues - but there the size of your vote is often a function of how many shares you own. If each HL lighthouse is considered a 'share' then a collector who owns them all would have more clout than one who owns fewer. So why shouldn't those die hard collectors have a greater say? (I just concoted this argument and I'm not sure if I buy it completely but its something to think about).

I do agree with your notion that in regards to making an OE version - all else being equal (ie - no special promises), Coquille is no different from Hatteras.

I disagree with Bill's view that Coquille is too ugly to warrrant an OE. The Coquille LE is certainly not one of their finest, but again imo, architecturally, its a beautiful and unique lighthouse building that gives HL a lot to work with in they chose to make a new model. (This does not mean I think they should.) While the relative tourist popularity of a light may drive HL to model it, I think there are other factors such as history or architecture that should have an influence. After all - how many folks visit Mantinicus? If it wasn't for its keeper's history it may never have been modeled.

Rgds,
__
/im