I'm reading through this thread and I'm frankly amused at all the hubub. Had Coquille River lasted through its entire 5,500 run, it would most likely be in the same boat with Cape Blanco and North Head---one of the ugly ducklings of the line. Look at what HL is putting out today. Their pieces are finely detailed, colorful, and very realistic. Coquille is drab and dull and poorly detailed. And, as I said in my earlier post, had it not retired so early, it would today get about as much attention as the aforementioned Blanco and North Head (or St. Georges Reef, or Yaquina Head, or Umpqua River for that matter).

Through circumstances beyond collectors' control, Coquille has become one of the "Grand Slam" pieces for collectors---the other three being the original Cape Hatteras, Split Rock "Michigan," and Burrows Island "Oregon." Hatteras is "The Nation's Lighthouse," so it warranted a GLOW. Split Rock had to be made because of the Great Lakes series. But Coquille River and Burrows Island, regardless of their scarcity, are two of the ugly, originally-unwanted sisters among a large family of gems.

Neither piece deserves a GLOW edition.