Guess I'm inclined along the lines of Rick M. and Bill H.

Quote:
Why would the opinion of someone that has an entire collection make the decision for those that do not? I find this to be disturbing!

Please excuse me, but I think this misses the point. It doesn't have anything to do with the opinion of a someone who has an entire collection or a small elite group making a decision.

If I understand correctly, it does have to do with whether or not Bill Younger made a pledge that there would be no GLOW Coquille. No different than the pledge that no OEs would be made of lights that did not have a retired LE version.

The question that HL seems (properly) to be considering is - 'did Bill make this promise about Coquille or not?' If he made that pledge he should be held to it and I suspect he fully expects to hold to it - if indeed the pledge was made.

And for those in the 'everybody has a right to a copy of every HL model because afterall we truly *love* lighthouses' crowd, I suggest you try to see the view that without a secondary market Harbour Lights as a company and the HL line we enjoy would not be where it is today.

If HL were to either complete existing numerically unfulfilled LEs with new additional releases, or if they were to create an LE version of a piece for which there already is an LE, they will blow both their credibility and their place in the market as a maker of collectibles.

I really like the Bandon light - architecturally its beautiful. It may be a long time or never before I have an original Coquille to fill out my collection, though this does not temper my desire to do so. If Bill didn't promise never to do an OE Coquille then I might buy my first GLOW if they come out with an OE Coquille. But my belief that the LE line should maintain its integrity is stronger than my desire to fill out my collection.

Harbour Lights must not forsake the collectors that value the line as a collectible. Or put more twistedly: HL - don't eat your young or your young may eat their Youngers. ;->

Regards as always - from the Fog Signal building,
__
/im [...listening to my Big Red tape - thanks Ken!]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]