I really wish HL would make a Coquille River GLOW! Many collectors including myself will probably never be able to afford a Hatteras version 1, mispelled Split Rock, or Coquille River. The Hatteras version 2 and GLOW allows us to add a version of the light to our collection, but there is no alternative to Coquille River available.

I have heard debates before of whether it should be made or not...Would it devalue the rare limited edition piece? Would those who have payed big bucks for the original be mad that others could obtain a version at retail? Shouldn't HL ignore what happens on the secondary market ethically, and produce a piece that many collectors would love to add to their collection? Shouldn't HL remake the piece with the actual 8 sides for accuracy sake? If the GLOW is such a higher quality than the original, would many collectors really seek the original anymore? Should HL not make one if many collectors are telling them not too?

I think these are many questions that need to be answered or debated. I personally do not think it will devalue the original at all. Those who cannot afford the original are not going to try to pursue one whether there is a GLOW or not. Those who can afford one are the collectors who would want "one of everything" and would buy both versions anyways. Everyone should be happy! I dont think the ratio of the quantity of pieces vs the collectors who are seeking and can afford one are going to change because of the GLOW, and therefore modify the value. Realistically speaking, how many "serious" collectors who are seeking the original and have the money are suddenly not going to purchase one because a GLOW is released? Not many.

The original Hatteras is one of the most expensive pieces on the market even though there is the 2nd mold and GLOW. Those who have an original probably also have a 2nd mold and GLOW too. They only add to their collection, not detract. The 2 other versions have not reduced the price of the original, and I don't believe it would be all that much higher valued if the other 2 were not made. To most people, the difference of $4500 or $5000 is not going to sway a decision of buying one or not...it would still be a pipedream either way.

I also think it is very cool to have the limited, GLOW, ornament, spyglass, and thumbnail of a particular piece sitting side by side. It works for Hatteras...why not Coquille?

I'm really curious of everyones opinion on this. Maybe a little debate here could have an impact on an HL decision to finally produce one, I'm not for sure what the hold-up is. I'm sure other's opinions may vary substantially with mine..how about yours?

Maybe also state up front if you have a limited already or not, or if you are seriously in the market for one. This may help in setting up a reference to your opinion. Friendly banter please!

I do not have one yet...YET being the key word. I always assume that someday I will, whether a GLOW is in the collection or not. I don't expect to wait for the value to suddenly hit rock bottom either, I know it will only continually rise no matter what happens.

-RodW...Your friendly Instigator
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-02-98).]