Here's a little history about one of the top lighthouses on my wishlist. This lighthouse is gone. Not because of any storm, fire, or erosion, but because of expansion. It was in the middle of one of the most traveled waterways for shipping. If Harbour Lights makes a model of Bergen Point Light, it may be gone, but it won't be forgotten.

-----------------------------------------------
Bergen Point Light

The Bergen Point Lighthouse was built in 1849 at the junction of Newark Bay and the Kill Van Kull, about 50 feet from the New Jersey/New York border. It was a dwelling on a 60 foot diameter caisson. The tower was 54 feet high. The dwelling had 6 rooms and was 2 1/2 stories high. It was constructed at a cost of $4,969.78. By 1855 the lighthouse had fallen into disrepair as The Annual Report of the Ligthouse Board for 1855 gives the following information:Extract from the report of Major W. D. Fraser, of the Corps of Engineers, dated November 15, 1853:Bergen Point light.--the following information is derived principally from notes taken by Major Delafield, on his first survey, and fully authenticated afterwards by my own observation.The structure consists in a a two-story frame building, from the centre of which arises a wooden tower, surmounted by an octagonal lantern. It rests upon a quadrangular wharf of crib-work, filled partially with stone, and sheathed in the outside with four-inch plank placed vertically. The wharf rises about six feet above high-water mark, and is in a very pecarious condition, being constructed of very light stuff, and negligently frames. The house is settled at the centre, causing great injury to the ceilings both in the hall and upper rooms; and is so badly built thay evening admitting the foundations to be good, it is doubtful whether it would be proper to attempt any repairs. Little study seems to have been given to either the form or location of the wharf; to guard against to which it is every winter necessarily exposed; and the southwest angle has already sustained considerable injury therefrom. the dwelling-house is sufficiently commodious, but its condition, as well as that of the wharf, is too bad to justify me in asking anything for their repairs. The whole work ought to be renewed, and something better substituted in its place. How far any of it could be made subservient to this end, it is impossible for me to say, and hence the difficulty of making a reliable estimate. I have no doubt, however, that it will require an expenditure of at least $20,000 to carry out a plan from which a lasting benefit can be expected.Estimate for improvements...$20,000.00 Work began on the rebuilding of the lighthouse in 1857, coinciding with the rebuilding of the Passaic and Corner Stake Lights. By 1859, work had been completed on the Bergen Point Lighthouse. A report in 1868 states that the lighthouse "Requires nothing." In 1873, a large fog bell that was struck by machinery was installed, replacing a small bell struck by hand.

The station was discontinued in 1949 due to a widening of the Kill Van Kill, and the point of land on which it stood was to be cut off from the point. Eventually the lighthouse was torn down and replaced by a skeleton tower.

Here's the entire artical and a picture.
http://www.njlhs.org/njlight/bergenpoint.html

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.