Reading the rules & regs on this sale it seems to be an impossible situation for any bidder:

http://www.comm-pass.com/Comm-PASS/Scripts/xdoc_view.idc?doc_id=008571&dept_code=&cp_x x=

For example: Bidding closes on March 25. Winning bidder must remove the ship from it's present location by April 15, 2000.

You'd have about 3 weeks to get it out of Quincy.

However

[*]'Not operational. Repairs will have to be done to the engines, transmission, portions of the hull.'

[*] Nantucket I has asbestos used as pipe insulation throughout. Some damaged.

[*]9,000 - 11,000 gallons of fuel 'that is used for ballast.'

[*]The winner has to warrant all services will be performed in a 'professional, workmanlike, and timely manner by qualified personnel' and 'paying prevailing wages'. Providing 'all necessary and proper safety devices and equipment for all work...' No volunteer non-professionals.

[*]Hours for removal and all contract performances will be Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4 PM.' No working weekends.

I called to speak to the surplus property office about it. However they are off all day Friday - St. Patrick's Day must be a state holiday in Massachusetts.

Looks to me like you'd have to be in the marine salvedge business to even qualify -- and Nantucket I would probably be scrapped.

Too bad.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-17-2000).]