Lighthouse Loon:
Quote:
Do you know of any other pictures of Back River?
I haven't been able to find any others on the web, but I haven't done an extensive search.

There are some wonderful pictures of Back River in the latest edition (Winter 2007, Vol XIX, Issue 1) of "Chesapeake Lights" the quarterly newsletter of the Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society. In the "The Chesapeake Channel Marker" section (Issue #36), Betty Collins authored a four page article on the light. Unfortunately, it seems this section of the newsletter is not available on their website (at least I haven't been able to find it.) However, if you join the chapter, it looks like you get this most recent copy sent to you.

The picture displayed on my previous link is credited to a USCG photo taken 1885. In the article another photo that displays the keepers quarters is also credited to the USCG, circa 1850.

There are 2 other photos in the article that are Photographer unknown, one circa 1905 which displays both the light, keepers quarters and the bridge/walkway that connect the two, and a 1950 photo displaying the light in disrepair.

Betty listed her sources for the article:

"Down by the Back River Light", 2006 Ann Davis/Morgan James Publishing

"The Lighthouses of the Chesapeake", 1993, Robert deGast/The John Hopkins University Press

"Back River Lighthouse", 1995, Charles F Elliott

"The Keeper's Log" Winter 1995, Charles F Ellott, US Lighthouse Society

"Forgotten Beacons: The Lost Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay", 1997, Patrick & Turbyville Hornberger, Eastwind Publishing

"Lighthouses of Maryland and Virginia: History, Mystery, Legends & Lore" 2006, Bob Trapani Jr., Myst and Lace Publishers

"Lighting the Bay", 1996, Pat Vojtech, Tidewater Publishing.

Hope this helps!

Melody