Do any of you remember the offshore structures that replaced many a Lightship form the past that were referred to as "Texas Towers"?

The two I remember the best were the Buzzard's Bay Entrance Tower that marked the main channel into the Cape Cod Canal, and the Brenton Reef Tower that marked the East Passage entrance to Narragansett Bay and warned mariners of the treacherous Brenton Reef that lay under the surface of the water just before Castle Hill Light.

Both these structures have been removed now, but I still have there original locations marked in my LORAN. They often were a welcome site (location) in my sight (vision) as I worked my way through the fog in those areas. Many mariners, like myself, were sad to see them go.

I'm happy to say they did replace the Buzzard's Tower with a smaller structure but not as pleasing to the eye as the old one. Bell and light buoys replaced the Brenton Tower and those can be a little harder to see in dense fog.

Do you remember these types of structures off the coast of wherever you grew up or boated in years past? Do any of these structures still exist today? Has any company ever made a replica of these that you know about? Would you like to see Harbour Lights do such a piece in the future?

confused Bob confused