Suzee,

Believe it or not there are probably more lights in the midwest that on either coast. (Havent't sat down and counted but if I'm wrong I doubt its by much.) Michigan alone has 116 (more than any other state by a long shot). Door County, WI has more lights than any other county in the US!

My story -

Have enjoyed lighthouses off and on, when I was near one I would view. Have known about HL for some time but didn't want to spend the $. When planning for vacation the summer of 97 I convinced my wife that we go with a lighthouse theme. Up the east coast of Michigan to Mackinaw City, and even spent a couple days in the UP.

Saw a bunch of lights starting with Fort Gratiot (and didn't even "know" St. John at that point). Saw every Lake Huron light that could be seen for shore, except Harbor Beach. (Didn't have a good guide book until just after that location, but am going back there Easter weekend to see that sucker.)

Saw HLs in stores along the way but was too busy spending $ on vacation. (I know that Paul and St. John is grimacing as they believes in spending as much on HL as on vacation.) One of the two local stores that carries HL has a coupon good one day in December good for 25% off anything. Somehow I convinced my wife that the Stamp Set would be a great Christmas present, especially at 25% off. Next purchase was Point Fermin from the same dealer. And even better, they remembered we were the ones who bought that set of 5 so they gave it to me for 25% off also!

Since then (12/97) I have acquired 30 HL. They are in several displays around the house and have some at the office. I have acquired a number of older LE's from "my" store, R@R and one with a tip from ORV.

I collect the ones I enjoy, have or expect to visit, or ones that really catch my eye. Lots of fun, lots of $ but hey, why not have the fun?!?

Keep the flame going,

Dave