I bought my first HL, Southeast Block Island, in 1994. I spend considerable time at Block Island each summer and purchased the light because it was a great representation on the actual light. I never really thought about the value of the piece until I came upon a web site in September of 1997 that indicated my HL 128 had more than tripled in value.
I thought it might be nice to purchase a few more of the area lights that I had visited. I bought Brant Point, Beaver Tail, and Castle Hill. I then got into "lighthousekeepers.com" and the rest is history. My collection has grown to more than 100 pieces in just over the last year.
My wife asked me what I had planned on doing with all my HLs now that the curio was full and most every flat spot in the house was occupied. I felt the best way to solve the problem was to buy another, but larger curio. She then asked, " where would we put it?" It was then I suggested we put an addition on the house.
Well, the plans are drawn and I'm waiting for the building inspector to issue the permit. I figure the 20 x 24' room with a cathedral ceiling should alleviate the HL display problem for now.
What started as a purchase of a small icon has now turned into a "way of life." What started as "buy the ones we visited" has turned into "I got to try to get them all!"
Harbour Lights is not just a collectible to me but is actually a new way of life. I have made many new friends on the Internet in my pursuit of these sometimes elusive symbols of another time. I attended the HL Collector's Society Reunion in Providence and found that the family who is responsible for the manufacture of these precious items are about as nice as people can be.
I will forever remember the great time provided by the Younger family in Providence. I will also change my collecting habits so that some day I will own every piece ever made by what I consider to be the greatest collectible in the world.