I found this that I wrote 10 years ago. I thought it would be interesting to bring it back.

A question that has been asked many times through the years is why a low number (11 to 99) worth more than the higher numbers.. The first person that wrote about Harbour Lights and set the very game rules that we follow today was Jim Rutherford.
He felt that the desire for collecting low numbers developed from early days of people collecting lithographs. The low numbers had a better print quality and therefore was sought after and was worth more.

I personally, as a veteran collector feel differently. I went through many stages of collecting just to satisfy my collecting hunger. At first it was satisfying enough just to go to my dealer and buy whatever lighthouses were available at the time. Then I started to hunger for the lights that where no longer found at my dealer. So I stretched out to other dealers to the point of making phone calls and special trips. This only lasted so long until I realize that to fill some of the holes in my collection I would have to get involved in the secondary market.

My collection grew to the point where I had a complete collection of the first 100 HL.
So where to go after that. How was I to keep my collecting fun and have something that the novice collector didn’t have? I then got involved in an auto shipment of matching double-digit numbers. This gave me Bragging Rights. Something that made me part of a special secret collecting club that put me into the super collector category or at least in my own mind.

It didn’t stop there, I went back over the first 38 that I collected and started to collect them all over again in the Canadian version. But that still wasn’t enough. I again when back over the first 50 and collected them all in double digits and in a few cases APs, paint samples and founders collection pieces.

At times I felt I was alone but all it was that I was going thru different collecting stages. Some collectors quit at the first stage and never really understand the die heart collector, while others of the true collecting wackos like me follow the cycle out to the last stages.

Yes the double digits are more valuable to the die-heart collectors and are in more of a demand than the higher numbered lighthouses thus making the double digits more valuable.

DANIEL