Hi everyone, and thank you for your replies. The things I'm needing to check may in fact be relatively straightforward, so I'll mention them here and maybe one of you might know the answer?

First point to check: I have a scene involving a lighthouse keeper manning a lighthouse in 1908. The type of lighthouse/lens isn't specified. There's a big storm one night, and I need a way for the lighthouse lamp to die at the hands of the keeper. At the moment, the lamp fails because the keeper was 'burning the flame too brightly and blew the bulb'. Is it feasible/possible for this to happen?

Second point to check: The same lighthouse above is subsequently abandoned for 60+ years, no one goes inside (but we can assume a full working lens has been left inside). Then I have a group of teenagers who break in and fire up the lamp. Broadly speaking, what might those teenagers need to bring with them in order to do this? At the moment it has been entered down as a "bucket of kerosene and a fresh wick".

It should also be noted that all this is told as a story/flashback - the main plot doesn't hinge on this being 100% accurate. But I'd like to get as close as I can to describing these two events in a way that is feasible from a historical point of view.