I hate this time of year.

Right now Doran is 600 miles away from JAX the 2nd highest force of a hurricane on record at a Cat 5, 180 mph sustained winds with 220 mph gust , that is the strength of a tornado. I am a Register Architect and homes even on the coast are not designed for these kinds of winds. Right now three days out the hurricane is supposed to miss Jacksonville by 60 miles to our east out in the Atlantic . but the path can change at anytime. The National weather service allows a 70 mile change of path for a 48 hour period. So none of us along the Florida Coast or even Georgia and the Carolinas can breath easy until it passes.

I remember a Hurricane Charley back in 2004 going up west coast and was forecast to Tampa Bay area. It was suppose to be their worst storm in a 100 years. But then, contrary to all computer models, the hurricane suddenly made an abrupt turn to the right and came ashore south of the Tampa bay area, making landfall in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. Despite minute-by-minute updates from the 24-hour news media, many locals were still caught off guard.

This could happen with Dorian.

DANIEL