Originally Posted By: MelJB
Nice pictures even without the telephoto lens. Looks like you had good weather. Never been to see any New Jersey lights. One of these days though.

It was OK but I HAD one with me. If I was in better shape, I would have just gone down to the car to get it, but it was as much as I could do to walk on the ferry ad go up to the bow. I had to stop twice and sit down and get my breath as it was (I have COPD and it is not from smoking as I don't smoke and none of my family smokes)

Then we visited Hereford Inlet lighthouse. This meant getting on the Garden State Parkway, which is a toll road and you have to pay cash and sometimes you have to pay coin cash - sometimes even quarters. We are running out of quarters.

We overshot the lighthouse - it looks like the State Police are quartered in a keepers house and we almost turned in there.

We had to turn around and go back. Bob didn't get out the scooter which was a mistake. In order to get photos that weren't right into the sun,

I had to go around to the other side of the lighthouse,

and I just couldn't do it. This is as far as I got. I sat down in an arbor.

I ended up giving my camera to Bob. It's a very pretty
Victorian cottage type lighthouse

Then we headed for Atlantic City. The GPS told us to turn down a street which was closed, but we got there eventually.

We got to Abescon Lighthouse and I was looking to see what the paint colors were when Daddy took his photo. You guys helped me to ID it because it didn't look the same in 1959 as it does now.

I talked to a Park Ranger, and he told me all the colors that the lighthouse had been. He said originally it was red brick but that it got lost in the setting sun so they painted it red and white but that had the same problem. I don't think that is a real story though because there are several red lighthouses.

Anyway, apparently when it was decommissioned and was standing vacant, the city painted it in the city colors (blue and yellow). It is now black and white.

I asked the ranger if he would like to have copies of the photo and he said yes. So I sent them to him, and he said he was going to show the photos to his manager, and also to the city planner to show what the city looked like in 1959

Last edited by grandmaR; 10/30/14 12:02 AM.