I wanted to visit my grandson in VT and my great grandson in CT. I figured that I would take the chance to go and see some lighthouses on the way up.

We drove up to Lewes to take the Cape May Ferry. I went up the elevator and walked onto the ferry which was a mistake because I should have used my scooter. We saw two lighthouses from the ferry Delaware Breakwater Light and the Harbor of Refuge Light but I forgot my telephoto lens (it was in the car) so my photos aren't that good.

I had originally made a reservation at the Virginia Hotel and asked for a first floor room. But they didn't have a first floor room so they switched me to Congress Hall. We went for dinner at their restaurant The Blue Pig. I ordered Brunswick Stew, but what I got was an ordinary beef stew - attractively presented, but not Brunswick Stew.

The AAA book said the hours of the Cape May lighthouse were 'variable'. I asked when we checked in, but the desk person at the hotel did not know. So I looked it up on the internet after dinner. It turned out there was a moonlight climb that night, and the lighthouse opened at 10 the next morning.

Since I now use a scooter to get around there is no way I'm doing a moonlight climb or a climb at any other time of day.

I found Cape May very expensive. So it was a relief to find that the lighthouse was in a Cape May park which was free.

The fee would be for climbing the lighthouse. The park had a museum. The lady in the Museum for the State Park told us to ask at the oil house

for the video which showed climbing the lighthouse - So we did that - it was free and was much easier than doing it ourselves, plus they took us past where visitors can go.

I looked into the lighthouse door from the scooter as I passed it.

I also took the scooter up to look at the beach (no swimming allowed),

but I did not go over to where the birders were looking at the marsh.