Ok, I know its been a few years since I've been here, but I have a good excuse! I haven't been anywhere! lol Seriously, I ran into a several year stretch of bad luck that I am still trying to get out of. But, my wife and I did get to get out on a lighthouse excursion...And, we had a passenger! We have a 4 year old little girl named Savannah who got to see her first lighthouses on this trip! I'll get to that shortly, but first, a photo of Cape Canaveral that I forgot to put here before. Its far off, but I visited it up close as a kid.

We FINALLY got to go to the Outer Banks, but as my luck dictates, it rained the ENTIRE trip. Know that Noreaster that is pounding the North East right now? It was in the Carolinas earlier this week. So, most of my pics have a dreary sky. I kept telling myself "This is the weather that lighthouses were built for! They were not built for blue skies with puffy happy little cotton candy clouds!" Yep..I kept telling myself that. LOL

First up was the Roanoke River Replica in Plymouth, NC. This pic has a blue sky, but this was when we stopped there on the way back. Figures we'd get sunshine to light our trip back home. lol

Next, before checking into our hotel, we went straight to Currituck. We wanted to make sure that we would be able to get there in time for Vannah to get to climb it. She was excited about seeing lighthouses because of the many photos of them throughout our house. We made it with about 15 minutes to spare, and she got to climb it. The wind must have been blowing at 40+ mph sustained at the top of the tower. I'm glad it wasn't raining at that time because each raindrop would have felt like a needle. Currituck is a cool lighthouse, but like St Augustine, its hard to get a good photo of it because of all the trees.

Here is Vannah climbing Currituck:

The next day, we went to the Wright Brothers Memorial and Bodie Island. (The Wright Brothers Memorial is a lighthouse if you ask me. It sits on a big hill, and is about the size of Jupiter! PLUS, it has a rotating beacon at the top. If it looks like a duck...)

This picture has the tower in the background. The foreground shows a replica of the plane.

Then, we went to Bodie Island. I was SO disappointed with the weather. I wanted one of those incredible sunset pics of that lighthouse. I even went back that night to try to get a night pic like the ones you can get at Tybee. The only light there at night is the beacon itself. Its VERY creepy there at night. Hatteras is like that too.

The next day, we went down to Cape Hatteras. Most of the highway between Pea Island and Hatteras was flooded with deep water. It was a challenging ride that took about 90 minutes when it should have only taken about 40. This is an equally dismal shot as Bodie. I have others where you can barely see the top of the tower. It was also pouring there most of the time we were there.

We kept on. Despite what the photo looks like, it was only about 1PM in that picture. We took in the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, and boarded the ferry to Ocracoke. I gotta say, that is a cool island. It looks like a MAJOR party place. And, despite the flooded yard where the lighthouse is, I love this pic. At least the water was good for something. ;)

I will be photoshopping the truck out of this pic though. :)

The last day, we set out and got the other screw pile lights. First, Roanoke Marshes:

And, of course as soon as we left the Outer Banks, the sun came out. Not sure if you guys know this, but the Roanoke River Lighthouse has been completely refurbished, and has been open for tours for about a month now!!! It looks BEAUTIFUL! http://edentonlighthouse.org/ Edenton NC is a beautiful and friendly little town as well. There is also a museum apart from the lighthouse.

Hard to believe this is the same lighthouse as this one: http://a66c7b.medialib.glogster.com/medi...-lighthouse.jpg

We did not get to Cape Lookout or any of the offshore lights. Lookout will be added soon, and we will be going back at some point. I want some pretty sky/sunset pics of Bodie, Hatteras, and Ocracoke. And of course, Cape Lookout. And, as usual, I will post everything here!

To date, 31 lighthouses visited!

Last edited by Tybee_Sullivan; 09/27/14 12:37 AM. Reason: Forgot something

This space for rent. Inquire within.