Dave
Great story and brought back a lot of memorys for me. It was very true of what each of them said about life on a lightship. I was stationed on the Scotland lightship which is located off Sandy Hook NJ and about 5 miles west of the Ambrose lightship. So there were 2 lightships when entering New York harbor.
I remember one time the fog would not let up and we had the fog horn on for 6 straight days without a break.As a crew member you can usualy tune out the noise of the fog horn but after 6 straight days everybody was getting short tempered and were hard to get along. Finaly the fog lifted a little bit and we shut the fog horn off. Everybody was out on the deck enjoying the fresh air butit only lasted about an hour and we had to turn the horn back on. But is finaly cleared up and everybody was happy. It is weird sometimes you can go 2 weeks without the fog horn. That is one of my stories and I will post another later. I finished up my enlistment stationed on the Overfalls lightship which was located in the Delaware Bay
breakwater off of Lewes De.
Hal