In Bonaire I was determined to snorkel although Bob had just had a melanoma removed from his shoulder and it wasn't healed enough to go. But I had missed snorkeling in Australia because I got the flu and was too sick to go. So I rode my scooter along the coast to the place where I had booked a non-ship tour. We went out to Klein Bonaire and I saw what looked like a lighthouse. I had a snorkeling camera, but it isn't so good out of the water and at a distance, so I asked the professional photographer if he would take a photo for me, and he refused.

This was the photo I got

After looking at all the lighthouse photos from Bonaire, I have concluded that this is a fake lighthouse - Harbour Village Lighthouse - which is not an ATON.

This camera is much better underwater

While I was snorkeling, Bob went and took photos in a couple of cemeteries. When I got back to the ship, I took the scooter around the deck and took photos of the Fort Oranje lighthouse

Fort Oranje was built in 1639 to defend Bonaire's main harbor. The commander of the island lived here until 1837 when his new home was built next door. The fort never saw action. The cannons are old English cannons that date between 1808 and 1812. A wooden lighthouse was built around 1868, and replaced by a stone structure in 1932. It is an active lighthouse with a white flash every 2 s. a square tapered-pyramidal stone tower. The light station now serves as the harbor master's office.

We wanted to go to a lighthouse in Curacao, but the taxi dispatcher told me that it would be $80 each way and $40 an hour waiting, and that only one of the lighthouses was accessible by road. And I thought that was too expensive, so instead we went to the old Jewish cemetery by the refinery, and the newer Jewish cemetery and a Catholic cemetery and took photos.

Last edited by grandmaR; 01/31/13 01:36 AM.