Quote:
Before Thomas Point was released were there any Wow Pieces or were they simply just better known lighthouses?

Because of advancements in materials and construction, I think its tough to compare an earlier piece with a newer piece. In terms of refinement and difficulty factor, I'm not sure any earlier pieces match up well with new ones. Does it make sense to see 'WoW' models as relative to their release period?

I agree with you on Sturgeon Bay and Ex Rocks, with Chicago Harbor and Grand Haven close behind.

What Jim Rutherford. calls 'the Rock and the Rocket' (Alcatraz & Cape Canaveral) certainly made an impression in early '96. Each sold out in less than 160 days, though they hung around on the retail market for much longer.

Also in '96, Pemaquid for its size and number of buildings, and colonial Scituate with its textures and colors were important releases for their day. Each of these took longer to retire (694 & 765 days respectively).

For '95 Big Bay Point is definitely a Wow piece; also for '95 I think someone might make a case for Pt Arena.

From '94 Big Red (retired in 514 days) and Montauk (313 days) are Wow pieces and both these continue to impress me today. Barnegat may also be on many WoW lists - it retired in just 370 days.

In '93 St. Simon's won a major award for HL and it remains one of my favorites (745 days). Its a WoW. Won't surprise me if several of the Belle's are on folks WoW lists.

SE Block Island is one of the real standouts among early models in '92. Definitely in my WoW category. (retired in 867 days)

I'm sure everybody has their own WoW list for each year.

Nowadays it seems expectations are higher and HL may be hard pressed to continually out-do themselves. And I'm not sure they need to take this approach. Earlier markets had a more leisurely pace and the collecting was just as enjoyable then.

Rgds,
__
/im