When I started collecting Harbour Lights a few years back, there were six Harbour Lights Dealers in the Tri City area (Bay City Saginaw, & Midland, Michigan). Today there are four.

One dealer has what I would consider a large display, two are moderate, and one small (around 20 pieces). Display cases are jammed with Harbour Lights sitting on top of one another. The GLOW's are mixed in with the LE's, which are mixed with the Society pieces that are marked "Not for Sale" which makes everything more confusing for the potential new collector.

What is wrong here? I'll ask the question that I have asked before: Who is responsible for the upkeep/merchandising of these displays. Do dealers get any training/advice on how to market HL's? Any education on the line in case customers ask questions? What function do the Reps. serve? It seems to me that these would be important to me as a business selling my product to a dealer.

All of the dealers that I have talked to recently have expressed their concern about too much product on their shelves taking up too much space. Too many new products. Some feel that the cheeper priced TLLOM is going to kill the sales of the LE's in their stores. They say why would someone spend $80-$125 for a Harbour Light if they can get a quality one for under $15? Not only a quailty one, but one of a popular lighthouse.

It is all a little scary to me. When dealers start to lose interest in a line of merchandise, what comes next? I know this post is a little doom and gloom, but these are some things to think about. I definately don't think Harbour Lights are on the way out by any means. I think Younger and Associates can ride this out. I just think more changes are needed before things get drastically better.

Food for thought,

-Todd