Rich

When I spoke of declining quality, I meant primarily in the production and delivery side and not in the design side. When I kept getting pieces with broken parts, the railings around the lantern glued on askew, clots and globs of paint clogging up the spaces between the porch railing posts, etc., it became a real "downer" for me. After all, what would it have taken to align the twelve or so railing posts with the corresponding brackets? The design part of it was fine, but the execution suffered. But, I also agree with you that cutesy things were starting to creep in.

As I indicated, above, I am facing the challenge of downsizing, which is why my collection will have to go. I moved in with my Dad when my mom died, and the HLs have all—every last one of them—stayed in their boxes ever since. That is why I'm hoping, when the time comes, that someone will come with a panel truck, receive the collection, and—we can only hope—enjoy it as I no longer can. I did and do love the pieces, but they do no one any good sitting immaculately in their boxes, taking up nearly a full quarter of the basement.

I also agree with you that it was the original 5500 bunch that caught my affections. The later ones, while more faithful and impressive, somehow did quite grab the imagination as the earlier one did. They also became increasingly fragile. Too much so!

Glad that you can still enjoy your magnificent collection!

Danny