Well now!

I knew not hanging out at Facebook could mean missing out on lots of news, tidbits and rumors. Thanks Sean for sharing the buzz with those of us still living in the old neighborhood!

Whether there are more years to come or not, the 20 years that have passed have been thoroughly enjoyable for me. However, I'm thinking along the same lines as John.

Harbour Lights has withstood many business challenges. They have dealt with run-away success in the early years, a change in ownership, the long-running decline in the economy, the loss of dealers and distribution, and on and on.

I live in Florida, which I think historically has been one of HLs better markets. The economy here is terrible. The housing market will be years recovering to what it was in the early and mid 2000s. Unemployment is about 11% and climbing for the past three months, not getting better. In some counties the rate is pushing 14%. In '04, '05, and '06 unemployment was under 4%. There simply isn't any money for things like HLs.

Even those who are fortunate enough to have work are spending money differently today than they used to. Saving is much more 'top of mind' for many people. Down-sizing is back in vogue, so available dollars will go further.

I hope I'm wrong because there are a few pieces I'd still like to see HLs do. But even there, I'm part of the problem. There are only a few. And 'a few' is a tough business model. Volume is better. But I don't think that HLs has been able to muster enough volume, especially per piece, to keep their supply chain costs from constantly rising. I imagine that there are minimum order requirements as well as volume discounts that factor in. It is possible that HLs just cannot muster the minimums anymore.

We'll see. But I suspect the ride is over. If it is, it was great while it lasted!

Rick