February 18th (Friday) we continued down to Summerville SC where we visited with our son and grandchildren. Sunday the 20th, we drove on down to St. Mary's Georgia. We saw a President's Day parade

and visited the Submarine Museum. Bob is of the opinion that it needs a good organizing - it appears to be a collection of collections. It was fun though.

In the second from the top row, the plaque on the left with a yellow and grey center is one that we have at home becaue Bob served on that boat.

Monday we took the NPS boat over to Cumberland Island. The Cumberland Island light is actually on Little Cumberland and you can't get to it from Cumberland. So we didn't see that.

I have been trying to go to Cumberland Island for some time. There is an anchorage off the Sea Camp Dock and you can dingy ashore. But we've never had enough time to do that. And the last time we came up the ICW, we stopped at St. Mary's and I wanted to get the ferry over, but they were full. So this time I made the reservation in October asked for a beach wheelchair. looked like a regular wheelchair but with tires like those monster trucks. It was hard to get into as it was tall and tippy. Several people had to hold it so I could get in. I think they had the tires reversed.

Tuesday Feb 22 continued south. We stopped in Titusville and went over to the marina and then had lunch at Steve's Diner. We stopped for the night in Ft. Pierce and visited Harbortown Marina there for dinner.

Wednesday our daughter was going to be off work, so we drove on down to Miami to her house and watched our granddaughter at soccer practice and our grandson umpiring a 9-10 age baseball game.

Thursday we drove to Key West and spent Friday and Saturday there. I took my sister and BIL to the sunset celebration at Mallory Square. I took this photo from there - I can't figure out what lighthouse it could be. It was almost directly in the path of the setting sun as seen from Mallory Square.

I also took them to Hemingway House which I haven't been to in a long time. Hemingway used to complain that the lighthouse keeper could see into his bedroom.

In this picture the lighthouse is behind the palm

This is from the balcony

Sunday we drove back to Miami to see our granddaughter's soccer game. We stayed until our daughter had to go back to work on Wednesday March 2nd when we left early for the Florida west coast.

We first visited Corkscrew Swamp. I found photos taken in the 60s that show that we all went in and did the boardwalk. And I could even show Bob that he was also there - he didn't remember it. We did the whole 2+ mile boardwalk - me in a wheelchair with Bob pushing.

After we left Corkscrew Swamp, we headed for Koreshan State Park in Estero. I remembered this as the place where the FLAT earth people were (the Koreshans).

But I remembered wrong. I thought I saw a presentation where they thought that the sky was like the inside of an orange. But what they really thought was that people lived on the INSIDE of a round ball (a HOLLOW earth society - a concave surface rather than a convex surface) and the sun and moon, and planets shown through holes in a rotating sphere more inside the ball kind of like they do the heavens and stars in a planetarium today.

They 'proved' this to their satisfaction by going out on the beach in Ft. Myers and measuring off a length along the beach and showing that the land was concave. (A straight line extended at right angles from a perpendicular post will meet the surface of the earth at a distance proportionate to the height of the perpendicular).

March 3rd, we started the real lighthousing up the Gulf coast of Florida.

Last edited by grandmaR; 03/26/11 01:40 AM.