The idea of a 'hidden' icon on each and every Harbour Lights came out of 'Brand X' days (David Winter Cottages.)

Those familiar with the lore of Harbour Lights know that Bill Younger introduced David Winter Cottages to the USA; at one time Younger & Associates was the rep for the John Hine Studio line for the states West of the Rockies.

David would hide a mouse on each piece. It was supposed to be a secret, but Bill didn't know that so he openly discussed where the mouse could be found on each David Winter piece when asked. (Nowadays, the "Seahorses? What Seahorses" response from Bill is a fall-back to those 'secret' mice.)

The idea intrigued DWC collectors so much, that in the late 1980s Bill insisted that something similar be developed for the Lighthouses the Younger Family was going to launch.

Sometimes the hippocampi got too easy to find and the word was sent out to sculptors to make them harder to spot.

I think the hardest of all to find was on HL125 Portland Head ME LE. It was rumored to be UNDER the overturned boat on the base. But Carolyn Carbone was the first person I know of to spot and report it - and, no, she didn't need to break off the boat.

Now there is this place on the Collector Forums to ask for help -- or report your findings, moderated by the Seahorse Princess, Sandy Jennings.

Photos are welcome.

P.S. Have you found the seahorses on Mark Sherman's paintings?