I've decided I want to upgrade from my current Canon S1 IS "pro P&S" camera to a DSLR.

I'm looking at the Nikon D50, and I'm pretty much set on it. It's the most affordable DSLR right now, but it still seems to pack a punch. It looks like it still has enough features to last me a few years, even if it is a "consumer SLR." We have one at school for the yearbook, and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it...I think a larger than usual percentage of this year's candids are by me because I love taking it out to take shots.

I'm not putting it on my Christmas list for anyone to buy me, because at $600, it's still kind of expensive for any one person to give me. Instead, I'm asking for Amazon gift certificates from my family to cover at least a chunk of the cost. I figure that I'll add a bit of my own money in and try to get it on a clearance, since it has been "replaced" by the new D40 (which I do NOT like, since it seems to be too consumer...not a nice balance like the D50).

So...basically...I'm pretty much heart-set on my decision, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here that has a D50 and what they think of it. I've done a lot of research into it...searched for hours on Flickr for photos taken by them using the new "search by camera" tool...but I'm curious as to how the lighthouse community likes them. ALSO, what lenses would you recommend I get (affordable - I'm not really looking for $500 primes or anything) for lighthousing? Right now, I'm looking at starting out with just the kit lens (18-55), and continuing to use my Canon for anything long-zoom. Then I'll save up for a big zoom...but which one?

I'm excited about this camera...and I'm pretty set...I'm just curious about any input any forum members might have...