I back them all up on CDs, because that's all I've got, and I don't need to store the photos at all times.

A few months ago, I got a Maxtor Onetouch II 200GB external drive. Didn't work out of the box, and I wasn't able to return it. Apparently, others have this problem, so DON'T buy a Maxtor. Wouldn't keep my files on the HD.

I am obsessive about my backups. Each photo will find itself on several CD backups - a disc for every trip, a disc of backup before erasing a CF card, and a My Pictures backup every now and then. It's a lot of CDs, but it helps me feel better that I won't lose photos. I also want to make a couple DVDs if I can with backups of ALL my photos, and put it in the fireproof safe.

I still want to get another HD to put the photos on, as well as all my music (I have 5GB worth right now, and I don't need it on my computer all the time - that's why I got an iPod) and any other large downloads. I'd like to cut it down to having just programmes, basic Office documents, and maybe a "favourites" photo selection on my computer at all times.

It seems like Seagates and Western Digitals are good HDs. After I figure out what to do with the one I have now, I'll probably get one of those.