So I'm taking pictures of the Wash Woods LSS the other day here on the OBX when my Canon S1 IS starts beeping. A message comes up on the screen, "Memory Card Error." Oh crap.

I've heard about this error from people - it's apparently common on Canons. I've probably been lucky that it's taken until now, especially because I'm going to about 85% replace it with the D50 soon. But I still want to hang on to this camera for its Image Stabiliser (a boon for far-off lighthouses) and its nice compact package.

Is it an error with the card, or the camera? I don't think I can send the camera for replacement at this time, and if it was at that point, I'd just keep it for sentimental value and go completely to the D50. But still...I'd like to hang on to it for a while still.

Could I have worn out the card after 10,000+ shots? It's a Kingston 512MB, not totally top-end, but it's served me very well over the past 2.5 years.

Maybe the camera knows it's getting a new friend...but I still need it the rest of this trip and as my second camera, so now is not a good time for it to break!

Help!