Although I did not plan to comment further, and now at the risk of absolutely hammering home a point, I submit the following. This morning, my dealer at Candle Nook, Laurence Webster [Wichita, KS...316/945-8510], who owns the business, called to advise me that two of the Staten Island pieces had just come in. I have only just come from examining these pieces---edition numbers 415 and 416---which I did while Laurence looked on. Number 415 had the following flaws: the upper railing around the lantern had been glued in place so far off-center that it was touching the glass of the lantern on one side and was leaking off the platform on the other. It had been painted in that misplaced position. Additionally, the edge of the lantern roof closest to the residence had obviously been chipped at the factory and had been patched with a clumsily applied wad of resin, with little attempt to shape or blend it. This had obviously been done at the factory...whether before the rest of the roof had been painted or after, I can't say, but I am suspecting afterwards. There were a very few, tiny pepper-sized specks of the roof color on the resin patch, as though an attempt at painting it had not been successful and the paint did not stick. In short, the lantern roof looks like it has an unpleasant mass of proud flesh on one side. Number 416 had small chips in the bushes both in the front and the back. Anyone may call Laurence to confirm this, in case there is suspicion that I am prone to exaggeration or over-reaction.

Laurence further advised me that one of his long time collectors, Peggy Wise, had come out to get her special order membership piece, Old Boston Harbor, and when she opened it for the very first time, the weather vane had been bent over at more than a right angle, and the paint was flaking off it.

Laurence is requesting replacements for the Staten Island 415 and the Old Boston Harbor.

The boxes for all three of these pieces were in fine condition and showed no mishandling in shipping.

I have taken the Staten Island with the slightly chipped bushes, and will wait to see the replacement for 415 to see if it is better.

But...there you have it. My last three, consecutive Harbour Light pieces acquisitions have---every one of them---had flaws. Each piece has come from a different source: Nags Head NC, St. Charles MO, and Wichita KS.

Observations?