Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO:
I think the collectors book should have "Updates" every one or two years. This would be cheaper, and you would not have to keep buying the same book for just the changes. Now new collectors would just buy the original book and whatever update packs they want.
Because the book is organized alphabetically by Lighthouse Name (US, then International), it would not be practical to have updates that could be 'inserted' (What would the page numbers be?)

It could have been organized by product number, but then it wouldn't have been of much use to the new collector or the casual reader.

The Wire-O binding was chosen so that the book could lay flat when open. You can't insert pages into this type of binding. A ring-binder would not have been workable from a production standpoint.

When first developed, there were discussions about putting out a 32 page update every year or every two years - same size, but bound as a booklet. That might have been economically feasible, but you would need include a 'revised index' that indexed both the original and the update into one document.

In a hypothetical update publication where, for example, a Little Light has been introduced for which a previous Limited Edition has been made, the update page would be a reprint of the page the way it exists in the current directory with the addition of a mini photo and the table modified to show the Little Light.

I have a copy of the Guide on which I have added sticky notes marking all the errors -- 2 are spelling; some the lack of a date when one was known etc.

In any case, while the book has sold well, it has not sold out so the market for an update is too small to make it economically practical.

You can open and download a text file of the known errors: click here

If you know of other, please email me: webmaster@lighthousekeepers.com