Although many explanations above are reasonable explanations for LHD's actions, I think for some of us HL collectors feel they are missing the key issue of how LHD (with HL apparent consent) is possibly disrespecting the trust and integrity of the HL line built up since the line began with their sale actions.

Collectors Society Editions were represented by HL as LIMITED EDITION lighthouses (many not numbered) only available to those who bought a full priced membership. The free Society gift was intended for members only and the Society Exclusive, ordered thru HL and delivered thru a HL dealer at full price, were also intended for members ONLY, not the general public thru a LHD sale. (OCGHL p.446-447)

The In-Store and Regional Event pieces (generally not numbered) were also considered SPECIAL LIMITED EDITIONS for anyone who wanted to buy them thru certain HL designated dealers at full retail price. (OCGHL p.447-450)

I think the general rule has been for many years that HL dealers are NOT to sell for less than retail any HL product that has not been officially RETIRED by HL. So, if all these HL lighthouses being sold by LHD are retired, then.....
I guess they are OK as to the generally accepted standards. But with no updated Product History being available for many years now from HL, how are we to tell w/o calling HL and asking (if they even know at Customer Service??)or checking the HL website if these lights in question have been officially retired. An updated Product History supposedly coming "soon" should give us the LIMITED info--as to number produced and if it was a timed version or not? BUT, Tony seems to have some sort of problem in releasing production numbers. Imagine coin collectors not having numbers produced from the different mints around the world to put in their collectible guidebooks!!

So, in my opinion LHD as the largest HL dealer in the world may or may not be legitimately selling these lights at sale. But, as the supreme retail HL dealer they are not exercising integrity, trust, and RESPECT to the HL collector base by selling at sale prices Collector Society pieces that were originally represented as LIMITED and for Collectors Society members ONLY. In fact, LHD latest Winter 2010 catalog states (p.24) that East Chop, MA
is "an exclusive member gift" and that West Chop is "this year's society exclusive available to members only."

Let's not forget many of us HL and Collector's Society members do not believe in "survival at any cost", especially when it weakens the long history of truthfulness and integrity in the HL line.

OCGHL= The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights by Chidister and Brady