Beacon Bob,

Look in this section of "The Beachbum" site (Stephen Wilmoth) NC Life Saving Stations
He's done a terrific study of all the existing LSS structures on the Outer Banks. Some are easy to find and are now in use as other structures.

Chicamacomico LSS is the only one that stands restored and as a museum, and you will actually see 3 on those grounds. Stephen's site will direct you to others nearby, and the folks at Chicamacomico can also guide you. Tell Linda Malloy "Hi" from me. She and her husband staff the LSS, and are greatly responsible for what you see today. See the Schedule page for the CG reenactment timing.

Tell me what area you'll be staying (near Nags Head or Hatteras or Currrituck) and I and others can probably suggest some good eating places. The Outer Banks covers a lot of miles.

Even though you have visited the NC lights before, try to visit Bodie at dusk and stay until dark. Seeing that First Fresnel at night is worth the effort. Just be prepared for the "no-see-ums" and use insect repellant.

Just across the street from the entrance to Bodie on Rt. 12 are the two Bodie Island LSS's that are being prepared for the move over nearer the lighthouse.

If you haven't been before, Manteo is a neat place to visit. Besides the Roanoke Marshes Light, there are lots of other nautical exhibits, and the Elizabeth II.

Down beyond Buxton near where you would board the ferry to Ocracoke is the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. That's where the Hatteras First Fresnel that was restored two years ago is on display, now attached to it's pedestal. Lot's of shipwreck stuff there too.

And I could go on and on.

I know you will have a wonderful vacation. Bring back some photos, please.

Judy

Judy