Definitely pick up the Shanks/York book. It has (AFAIK) complete listings of all LSSes in all states, as well as an extremely well-done history of the service and stations.

It's not a travel guide (to my knowledge, none exists for LSSes), but it's got a bunch of maps of the different regions, and lists with position info on the stations. With some map skills, some work, and maybe some satellite photos (a la Google Earth), you might be able to scope some out.

There should really be a full travel guide to the LSS of America. Stephen's site is the best resource out there that I've found - really, it's the only resource I've found that gives you any kind of real traveller's information, and he's only been able to get to stations from DE-SC (though the coverage in those areas is very detailed and very concise - especially for NC/OBX area).

Other than that, there's not much info out there. The NPS has a listing similar to their lighthouse listing for LSS, but it's really only those that are open to the public. So any that are homes, privately owned, etc. aren't there.

It's a fascinating field to get into - and it's just as much fun to go "LSSing" (no really good verb for "the act of visiting life saving stations") as it is to go lighthousing - and maybe a tiny bit more, since there's that whole "uncharted territory" thing going on with many.

If you really want to get into LSSes, I'd highly suggest picking up the Shankin/York book. I got mine at the Manteo Booksellers on the Outer Banks - if you can't find it somewhere else, they might be able to ship it to you.