A brief summary of my day yesterday ...

I had a plan to see four lighthouses today. Old Field Point and Fire Island becasue I wanted to see what I remembered from past trips ... Huntington Harbor and Eaton's Neck becasue I never have been.

I didn't realize until I got close and read the directions a 27th time that on-site parking wasn't to be this day. I found the gathering spot and boarded the bus. Itwas a five minute ride to the light.

It is so very hard to get a good frontal picture of Old Field Point. The front of the lighthouse is very close to a fence that protects you from a lot of muck as well as the steep decline down to Long Island Sound. Here is a picture of the lantern.

Same deal at Eaton's Neck. Since it was on Coast Guard property, we were again herded, again shuttled ... the difficulty here was that the light was perched on a small hill, forcing one to look up to shoot. A white towereagainst a gray sky didn't help, either. This is the Shirin "from the cheeks of my butt" shot, just to get a little "stuff" in the frame.

The bad news about visiting Huntington Harbor Light was also, I guess, the good news for the organizers. There was a ninety minute wait to get boat-shuttled out to the lighthouse. Being the furthest west, many saved this light as the last before heading home. I very much wanted to see the architecture of this one. The preservation society involved is twenty years into a renovation plan. Naturally, in an exposed boat ... and on an exposed outcropping in the middle of the harbor ... this was the only steady rain encountered all day. Here is one frontal shot.

Now a change of plans ... Overhearing others ... and becasue of the unexpected duration of the Huntington Harbor foray, I decided to skip Fire Island and try to find the Lightship Nantucket, (not a part of the challenge)supposedly moored a couple towns over.

I found the lighthship ... here's two shots ...

The Long Island Expressway is noted for, at times, being the world's largest parking lot. So it was on the way home. A two hour trip took three-and-a-half. It was worth it. The event was organized and coordinated.

It is definitely a two-day event ... so plan well for next year. But definitely plan to go.

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"