Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
I've started thinking about attemping this for the first time.

Haven't seen most of these lights, so I'm not sure if I will be able to pry myself away from each lighthouse fast enough in order to accomplish the challenge in time.
Judy is right- the idea is not to worry about completing the challenge. The idea is to introduce the NJ Lighthouses to the people.

See whichever ones you get to and see the rest later- it really isn't that ahrd to do all of them over the 2 days. You just need to use some good judgement- don't try and climb or spend a long time at all three of the tall towere- Cape May, Absecon and Barnegat. Pick one to climb and just take a quick look at the others this trip.

Finn's Point and Tinicum are very similar so with Finn's Point closed for climbing you'll save some time there.

East Point is not open very often so take the time to experience that one fully- it's a great one. the outside and the Lantern room have been restored while the interior ranges from the vandalized and unrestored lower level to the middle level where some work has been done and higher up where it is even closer to being restored. It gives you the opportunity to see a work in progress. East Point is small so the line to climb the tower can be long- it's worth it because the interior is open more often that is has been in the past but it's still not open very often.

Hereford and Sea Girt are similar in that they are part of an old Victorian style house. They are also similar in that they have very small lantern rooms and it can take a bit of waiting at times to get up into them. I'd say if you think time is a problem make Sea Girt the priority as it is not open as often as Hereford is- and if you don't climb Cape May it gives you more incentive to go back south at a later date. Hereford also has a lovely garden behind it which is worth looking into as well.

Sandy Hook and Navesink are both open a good bit of the time- Sandy Hook is open every weekend from April until October and then again in December for 2-3 weekends. Navesink is open at least 5 days a week year round. these two are so close to each opther that again you can make a nice day trip of going to the two of them- with the bonus of Conover Beacon in Leonardo and Chapel Hill in the hills above the other 3 (best seen after the leaves have fallen)

I don't usually say most of the above around people who are involved with the individual Lighthouses as they quite often don't see it that way. laugh

bottom line- the challenge is supposed to be fun. You're not supposed to learn everything about or experience everythin at each lighthopuse. The idea is to get a feel for NJ Lighthouses- what makes them the same, what makes them different and what makes them important. Go, try and finish the challenge but just make sure you just have fun.

Dennis