The event was member appreciation for Cape Canaveral Lighthouse members. I am a charter member (for what that's worth). The invite said come and bring your family, we will have a picnic of hamburgers and hot dogs with games for the kids. Followed by: We will see the original site of the original lighthouse (recently uncovered) as well as the original site of the "Iron Lighthouse" (the present one as it was moved 1 1/2 miles in land). Please note that normally I can not get on the Air Force that surrounds the lighthouse. For this event or other we sign up in advance due to security (9-11 and all). Any way, we get to climb the bottom of the lighthouse again, but not any further than before. The little kids have a couple of games to play then we eat. Well, I don't go to eat at these events but I was hungary and even though we signed up in advance, they ran out of hamburgers...no big deal we went to Wendy's later. So after a few words and a raffle, we get on the bus to go to the site (which should have been done on the way in as it is very close to sunset now). We get to the original site and are not allowed off the bus to take pictures and of course I can't see worth a hoot. Then we are told we are not going the the original site of the Iron Lighthouse either, even though it is close by. The sun was still up, plenty of light, but we are rushed back to the main gate where are cars are located. To add insult to injury, I was with the Flordia Lighthouse Association when we had our meeting there last year and we were suppose to see the Iron Lighthouse site then, and did not (I am being to believe it doesn't exist). It sure it seems silly to some, but I would like to see both sites.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el