Oh, so the real issue here is immigration, not the translation of the National Anthem! There are 4 versions of Spanish translations of the National Anthem on the U.S. State Depts website. probably because it is difficult to make direct translations of a song and have it still fit the melody.

Everyone at my work who was originally from another country does speak and program (as in computer programming) in English. They also speak their original language.

I have never said that people who move to the U.S., work in the U.S., or want to become a citizen shouldn't have to learn English. The family members who usually don't learn English are often elderly people who feel too old to learn the language and often do not have to work. Anyone trying to get a job, won't get very far if they don't know English. But, that doesn't mean that Americans need to feel threatened by people speaking other languages.

I work in a city with a large university with students from all over the world. They need to know English or they wouldn't make it at the University. It would be really rude for any of us to yell "speak English, learn English" if we overheard a conversation in another language, especially because they already do know English, but do have the freedom to speak in other languages when they want to.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)