Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Duo:
Quote:
For a county composed of people from many different countries with many different languages, Americans can really be intolerant about language. It is funny how when Americans travel to Europe so many expect signs to be in English and people to speak English
Suzanne, I thought this was only true about the UK and the English here smile .. you know, the people that think: "If anyone does not understand me, speak much louder, then they'll get it"

I know what it feels like to come to a country that speaks a different language to your's. When I came to England (from Germany) I thought I could speak English. :rolleyes: But I had learnt very little of the day-to-day things you need to know. So, I got busy and learnt ...

Still, I do agree, if you move to the UK or to the USA for that matter, or any other country, you should have to be able to speak the language. At least on a basic level. And if you can't, LEARN!

It is OK to maitain your own identity, but I don't agree with the attitude "There are many of us here now, so the country should chage for our convenience"

OK OK ... like Grace ... I have a big mouth ... But I get annoyed when people - in any country - immigrate and then expect special treatment from the "natives"

[b]"When in Rome, behave like the Romans" is the saying here...
[/b]

Well said Margret. smile
And let's not forget that English is the international business language!
HCS