Quote:
To paraphrase some movie I've forgotten (or perhaps made up), it's all about the distance.
Greg
I totally disagree with you, it is not about the distance it is the about the quality of time. I have visited almost every Lighthouse from Florida to Delaware including the Chesapeake Bay lights and the most memorable lights were not where I could see one after another, but where the lighthouse had things around it that made it fascinating.

I have seen lighthouses where we have found it and there was nothing else to do but go home or look for another lighthouse. You have seen them, they just sit there, you cannot climb them, and many you can’t even touch. The south may have their lighthouses far apart but when you get to them many can keep you busy for hours with their nature trails and museums.

Southern lighthouses that come to mind are Tybee, St Augustine, St Simons, Jupiter, Ponce De Leon and Cape Florida. Any one of those Lighthouses could keep you busy a day or more with its museum, keeper’s quarters and the other historical things next to them, like forts, and other historical buildings.

One of my favorite lighthouses to visit was Sapelo Island lighthouse. We caught a boat out to the island, we then rode an old school bus out to the light. On the way we visited an old plantation and rode on many dirt paths thru the life oak woods. This took four hours to do. After it we were ready to go home feeling like we had a full day and enjoyed the whole excursion.

Another interesting one is Hilton head, even thought it does not have a museum or keeper house, it is next to a very neat boat dock and shops that can keep you busy for hours. The southern Lighthouses have been some of Harbour Lights most popular lights. And Greg why do you think that is so? It is because so many tourists have seen them and have had a very memorable moment inspiring them to buy a lighthouse model to remind them of their experience.

I could go on with many more southern lighthouses that are fulfilling but I need to go to bed now. If you need more examples let me know.

DANIEL